2. What are cookies?
Cookies are small pieces of data that are created when you visit a website and contain a unique identification number. Some cookies are stored in the cookie directory of your hard drive and do not expire at the end of your session. Cookies do not contain any personal information about you and cannot be used to identify an individual user.
Cookies have a lifespan. Many only last until you close your browser or for a short time. These are called ‘session’ cookies. Some last far longer though – for example, to enable a website to recognise you when you return to them. These are called ‘persistent’ cookies.
Cookies set directly by a website owner (like Vendor Finance) are generally known as ‘first party’ cookies. Many, if not most, modern websites also use bits of hidden technology provided by other parties. Online advertising is a particularly common example. These other parties may also set cookies when you use our website. If they do so, their cookies are generally known as ‘third party’ cookies.
There are some other computer technologies which are technically different to cookies but are used to perform very similar jobs and function in a very similar way. For example, locally stored objects (or flash cookies) are used to power some online video content and web bugs (also known as ‘web beacons’) are used for many of the same purposes as cookies. When we provide services to you through our website, we want to make them easy to use, useful and reliable. Cookies are used to improve services for you by:
- Enabling a service to recognise your device so you don’t have to give the same information several times during a task
- Recognising that you may already have given a username and password, so you don’t need to do it for every web page requested, and
- Measuring how many people are using our services, so that they can be made easier to use and to ensure enough capacity to make them fast to use.
3. How cookies are used on our website
We regularly review the cookies we use and which our suppliers use to keep them to the minimum we think we need. In doing so, we aim to respect your right to privacy in your online life, which is very important us, but we also want to ensure you have a good browsing experience and ensure we have enough of the right kind of information to improve our website and the services which we offer. We have tried to ensure this is complete and up to date, but if you think we have missed a cookie or there is any discrepancy, please let us know
We have set out brief details of the cookies we use below, together with an overview of why we use them:
Account related cookies
Login related cookies
Email newsletters related cookies
This site offers newsletter or email subscription services and cookies may be used to remember if you are already registered and whether to show certain notifications which might only be valid to subscribed/unsubscribed users.
Forms related cookies
When you submit data to through a form such as those found on contact pages or comment forms cookies may be set to remember your user details for future correspondence.
Lead Generation form cookies
When you submit data via our car or commercial finance application forms, this information via a secure API is automatically pushed to our CRM partner Salesforce. This information is securely held until the competition of your finance application, cookies may be set to remember your details for future form completions.
The following section details which third party cookies you might encounter throughout our site:
- This site uses Google Analytics which is one of the most widespread and trusted analytics solution on the web for helping us to understand how you use the site and ways that we can improve your experience. These cookies may track things such as how long you spend on the site and the pages that you visit so we can continue to produce engaging content.
For more information on Google Analytics cookies, see the official Google Analytics page. To view Google Analytics data privacy and security analytics information, click here
- From time to time we test new features and make subtle changes to the way that the site is delivered. When we are still testing new features these cookies may be used to ensure that you receive a consistent experience whilst on the site whilst ensuring we understand which optimisations our users appreciate the most.
- As we sell products it’s important for us to understand statistics about how many of the visitors to our site actually make a purchase and as such this is the kind of data that these cookies will track. This is important to you as it means that we can accurately make business predictions that allow us to monitor our advertising and product costs to ensure the best possible price.
- We use adverts to offset the costs of running this site and provide funding for further development. The behavioural advertising cookies used by this site are designed to ensure that we provide you with the most relevant adverts where possible by anonymously tracking your interests and presenting similar things that may be of interest.
- We also use social media buttons and/or plugins on this site that allow you to connect with your social network in various ways. For these to work the following social media sites including; Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, will set cookies through our site which may be used to enhance your profile on their site or contribute to the data they hold for various purposes outlined in their respective privacy policies.
4. What personal data is collected by using our website?
Vendor Finance’s website will collect the IP Address of visitors. While we cannot identify an individual by an IP Address, which is essentially an identifier number assigned to each computer and other device, that same information may be passed onto the competent authority so they may take the necessary steps to obtain information from the relevant ISP to identify an individual if they consider initiating criminal prosecutions as a result of a cyber-attack against our site.
5. Managing/removing your cookies
When you visit our website, our cookie consent pop-up will display and you will be asked to provide your consent for their use. You can either consent to all cookies, or select which category of cookies you wish to consent to and which ones you don’t. Kindly note that some cookies we use are necessary for our website to basically function and so your consent is not required for these to operate.
This policy was last updated on 23/01/2021